Today is the 5th of May and you know what that means my dears.
Today is the day that in 1862 the Mexican army defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla!
Well, no, I’m sure you didn’t know that and I just taught you something. But regardless, tonight, like many before you, the weekend and happy hour are coming just a little bit early.
So while, Cinco de Mayo has very limited significance or none at all, if you aren’t Mexican, it is a worldwide celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.
Similarly to St. Patrick’s Day, Oktoberfest and the Chinese New Year,Â commercial-America has capitalized on the holiday of Mexican freedom and drowned it with food, music and specialized interest on cultural beverages.
On a lighter note, to get your party started the right way, here are a few suggestions from us to you:
- If you live in South Florida, visit one of the three choices the Miami Herald rounded up.
- Check out Tabasco’s “Max your Mex,” for some great recipes and all things pepper!
- Wear bright colours, be merry and if you have kiddies: give them bowls of red, blue and yellow finger paint and white construction paper. Put an apron on them, let them get messy can create some art for you
- If you’re having people over, make sure to set out your table spread with lots of corn chips, salsa, queso or salsa con queso. Don’t forget some chili, tacos and/orÂ fajitas.
- And if you must let out your inner lush, be sure to load up on … TEQUILA! Not to mention,Â ingredients for margaritas, daiquiris, some cerveza, Mexican wine and Tia Maria.
And definitely, don’t be THAT girl Joe sings about:
Sasha Muradali runs the Little Pink Book.
Copyright Â© 2009Â SashaHalima PR.Â All rights reserved.Â