Today, December 1, is World AIDS Day.
- AIDS stands for “Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.” Read more about it in general here. It is a disease of the human immune system.
- It is the first pandemic of the post-modern world.
- World AIDS Day is on December 1 of every year.
- According to UNFPA, every 12 seconds someone, somewhere is infected with AIDS. (You can see their clock & map here)
- In 2008, there were an estimated 33 million people around the world living with AIDS.
- In 2008, approximately two million people around the world died from AIDS.
- Since 1981, over 25 million people have died from AIDS.
- As of 2008, women account for 50%+ of the total cases of AIDS around the world.
- Ogilvy PR partnered with UNAIDS China to fight AIDS in China.
- Sex is the main cause for spreading AIDS in China.
- There are approximately 85,000 people in the United Kingdom with AIDS (two-thirds are men, one-third are women.)
- There are approximately 1.4 million people in North America with AIDS.
- There are approximately 22.4 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa with AIDS.
- In the past two years, approximately 1,500 people in Florida have died from AIDS.
- Approximately 90,000 people in Florida have AIDS.
This transmission can involve anal, vaginal or oral sex, blood transfusion, contaminated hypodermic needles, exchange between mother and baby during pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other exposure to one of the above bodily fluids. (source)
If you live in the United States, please visit AIDS.gov
If you live in the United Kingdom, please visit WorldAIDSDay.org
How will you [Read more...]