You get one guess about where/what I’m going to be for Halloween this year…and if you can’t figure it out, then *ahem* go get some ginkgo biloba.
If you don’t want to spend a lot on a costume — you don’t have too. The beauty about Potter is that the costumes are VERY easy to make.
- grey cardigan
- scarlet and gold tie — gryffindor (green and silver for Slytherin etc.)
- big book in hand — for Hermione
- white collared shirt
- dark grey/black pants
- black shoes
- badge (eBay! by the hundreds)
- grey socks
- frizzy hair — for Hermione
- freckles, red hair — for a Weasley
- Circle glasses, scar, white snow owl (they have SPOTS people) — for Harry Potter
Easy Harry Potter around the House:-
- Graduated from High School? College? Grad School? Have a black robe and don’t know what to do with it?
That’s your new Wizard’s Robe.
- Black clothes?
If you have the black robe, and have a variety of solid black clothes in your closet, including a white turtle neck or white cravat — you can be Severus Snape.
- Jeans and a t-shirt? Sneakers?
Get a black robe, Harry Potter glasses and a wand and you are Harry Potter. Don’t forget your SCAR.
- Have a blonde wig and some super fancy green clothes laying around?
Narcissa Malfoy … or be a socialite.
- Is your small boy child blonde?
Green shirt, black pants — dress him up extra refined, find a stuffed-plush toy of a snake. And don’t forget a Slytherin badge and your kid is Draco Malfoy, or better yet, Scorpius Malfoy
Get him a little cane with a snake head on top and he can be baby Lucius Malfoy, hahaha.
- Got some fairy wings laying around? Maybe some plain fabric in a solid colour as well?
Purchase some BLUE body paint and a bit of glitter. Toga the fabric (preferably beige, dark brown, black, green — earth tones), spray paint your entire body and *ta da!* you’re a Cornish Pixie!
- Own a pair of riding boots? What about skinny-legged khaki pants? Do you own any Rugby sweaters that resemble the colours of a Hogwarts house?
If so — get yourself a broom, some goggles and if you are up for it, a cape and my dear, you are now a Quidditch player.
Don’t forget to tuck your pants INTO your boots.
- What about tall black, stiletto boots? Black corset? What about a long black skirt and probably a long-sleeved mesh (or exceedingly LIGHT fabric) long sleeved top?
Put it together and you can be Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Do you own clothes?
Rhetorical, I know.
Dress up as your normal self, grab some PINK hair spray paint, and spray your hair PINK. And I mean Bubble Gum pink!!! Attach a fake beak to your face, wear normal everyday makeup — perhaps some glitter if you feel like it.
Carry a broom, and somewhere on your body put a pin/badge in visible sight that says, “Don’t Call Me Nymphadora!”
And you my lady friend, are now Nymphadora Tonks!
- Solid black traditional witches hat? Long green dress or simple dark colourd dress? The black robe as well?
Add a LARGE, or a few LARGE black and dark green feathers to your hat. Put on a pair of glasses and you are Minerva McGonagall.
- Have a prison uniform? An old fashion one with black and white stripes?
Get it a bit dirty with dirt, or stain it in some way without spilling Coca-Cola all over it. Get yourself a sign to hang around you neck and have it read, “Prisoner of Azkaban.”
The Harry Potter universe is so large and so diverse, you are bound to find something in there, that won’t cost you a lot of money — if any at all — and will make you look like you just stepped out of the pages of the book.
Guess what? My Bellatrix Lestrange outfit that in all my pictures…didn’t cost me a thing! I had all of that stuff for separate, everyday clothes on their own. I simply put them together, did my hair and my wand…was a present
Get creative folks!
Some stores where you can get your gear: Alivan’s, Whimsic Alley (<– Got my tie here!), Amazon.com (<– I have a Hedwig from here.) and Buy Costumes has a wide selection of costumes, including the rare and hard to find generic “Cardigan Hogwarts Student” costumes.
If you’re looking for simple shirts that say things like “Muggle” etc. try the WB’s Harry Potter Store.
Or if you want more exclusive and luxury Harry Potter items, try the Noble Collection (<– I got my wand here).