{iStyle & Beautirati Combo} The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Looking Fab

Beautirati logo by Sasha H. Muradali. 2009 All Rights Reserved.

By: Jenn Ortiz, {iStyle} Editor

I am not a morning person. As much as I love getting dolled up, I can be a bit lazy. Okay, more than a bit. I’m an absolute bum, but I refuse to look like it. I’ve been told I look high maintenance, but the truth is I’m pretty low maintenance. I cut my hair every 4-6 months, wash it every few days, hate to touch-up my makeup, and have a huge snooze button habit. Most days, I roll out of bed, brush teeth, dry shampoo hair, do something with my face, dress, and run. Somewhere in there, I feed and clothe a sleepy small child, take out the dog {which frequently takes up way more time than it should because I swear Lola has A.D.D.}, and deal with any “surprises” that spring up on me at 7 o’clock in the morning {like: “BTW mommy, it’s make your own silly sock day.”}

You’ve heard of the 5-minute face? Right, so start the clock.

Nothing on my face except for a smile. I must love you guys to do this.

Moisturize – Get a moisturizer with SPF 30 to save time. I don’t splurge here, Olay works just fine. Get about a dime size squirt and just rub it all over your face and neck. Time: 30 seconds

Foundation/Tinted Moisturizer – Some can skip this step, but most of us shouldn’t. I use my fingers, not a brush or sponge. I put dots all over my face and quickly blend them in. Splurge on your foundation. This is one place you don’t want to be cheap; the wrong color or bad quality can make your face look chalky, greasy, or cakey. If your face looks a different color in person or in a photograph than your neck, you’ve got the wrong foundation. May I recommend Giorgio Armani’s Luminous Silk? Time: 30 seconds

Concealer – Cover any darkness under your eye and in the inner corner of your eye. Laura Mercier’s Under Cover is hands down the best concealer in my book. The compact comes with one concealer for under-eye and one for the rest of the spots on your face. MAC had a chubby pencil concealer, but I’m not sure if they carry it still.  (Note: When I did this, I did not have concealer. Airhead that I am, I had left my concealer at work. The “Done” photo at the end shows concealer applied and was taken when I arrived at work.) Time: 22 seconds

Blush & Bronzer – Swipe the brush over the blush once or twice. Look straight in the mirror and imagine a straight line down from your pupil to your cheek. You want to apply the color on the outer side of that line. Many ladies put color to far in on their face, looking for the “apples” of their cheek by smiling. The line trick should help you avoid that. I use quick up and down dusting motions while moving outward. Bronzer should be dusted on the face in a figure 3 from temple to cheek to jaw. You also need a good blush brush; nothing wimpy. Try Lorac in a color that makes you look flush or Nars Orgasm/Laguna combo, because it looks good on anyone. Time: 18 seconds

Eyeliner – With black or brown liner, line eye as close to the lash-line on the top lid as possible. I use MAC Fluidline. It comes in a pot and must be applied with a flat eyeliner brush. This stuff does not budge, even after a workout or the pool. Time: 45 seconds

Mascara -I prefer DiorShow waterproof or DiorShow Iconic. First swipe, I make sure the brush is deep in my lashes a the base and gently wiggle on up. Second swipe, I look down or close my eyes and again wiggle and spin the brush while going up the lash. Touch the tip of the lashes with the tip of the brush while your eye is closed. That’s it, no more unless your idol is Tammy Faye. Time: 1 minute

Highlight – Get a flat eyeshadow brush and dip it into the highlighter. Make a C shape around the inner corner of your eye, by until your lashes begin. On the outer corner of your eye, swipe a line from corner of your eye to the outside tip of your brow and blend. Now, take the brush and apply highlighter all along the underside of your eybrow. Add a tiny bit above the arch of the brow. If you want, you can add a bit on the bow of your lip. Lorac Perfectly Lit in Spotlight or Stila’s Kitten. Time: 48 seconds

Lip – I suggest you swipe on something natural looking. My lips have good color naturally, so for me it might be C.O. Bigelow’s Mentha or a lip balm with SPF 15-30. If you’d like to add some color to your lip get a lipstick with a light consistency, like MAC’s lipstick in Glaze or Satin finish. Time: 12 seconds

Done! All in under 5 minutes.

A few tips:

Don’t ever use a red lipstick without flawless looking skin.
Don’t overdo the concealer. The point is to minimize flaws and even out skin.
Don’t cake on the powder. I didn’t even use any in these pictures.
Don’t use a tiny blush brush. It will make you look streaky.

Do get the right brushes and clean them weekly.
Do
remove your makeup before bed.
Do use good quality makeup. Makeup is meant to enhance. It shouldn’t look or feel like a mask.

–

Jenn Ortiz is a graduate of the University of Florida with degrees in History and Latin American Studies with hopes to pursue a PhD in Child Development. She believes there is beauty in everything around us; from the inside out, outside in. She currently runs {Bits of Beauty}, a place you just feel good about.

Copyright © 2009 Sasha H. Muradali. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

1. hahahaha, I LOVE IT!!!!!

2. thebeautyfile says:

This was wonderful! I would be NOTHING without my Armani foundation & NARS Orgasm blush….which I often apply in under a minute {in the car}! Great tutorial!

3. Have you tired Super Orgasm Blush?

I love it! That's what I use and Dior Blackout Mascara! A MUST!!!!

4. KristaLinn says:

Great tutorial and I can definitely relate to the “I just rolled out of bed and have five minutes to get fabulous” routine.

And to chime in: Since I'm allergic to Mentha, the one thing I swear by for my lips is Aquaphor. It's super-moisturizing and acts almost like a thick gloss. Plus, you can use it on your lashes if you don't like mascara, or on any dry areas you may have. I keep tube in my purse, in the car, and in my medicine cabinet. It's awesome!

5. Great, quick instructions, and I love your look ^_^

6. trckalovesyou says:

love this tutorial!
    i am at fault for putting bronze to far in on my face.
    not anymore!

7. Doedeer says:

Awesome article! I was wondering if you had any tips for when to avoid certain eye makeup. For example, I am always afraid that noticibly pink or green eyeshadows will make blemishes appear more noticeable, and that purple or black smokey eye makeup can create sallow-looking skin on certain people.

8. Hi Doedeer (Xenia?),

The best thing about blemishes — is to use a good coverup — then it is not
    easily visible.

MAC Cosmetics has fantastic, I mean out of this world, fantastic coverup/c*
    oncealer* for this. While, I'm a makeup artist for them, i've used other
    brands, and I highly recommend theirs. On a stick, in the pot or the liquid.

I use it for photoshoots, weddings, you name it. The best way to cover up
    before makeup?

Use the MAC c*oncealer, *but rather than a loose powder — use one of the
    Studio Fix powders from MAC (if you have oily skin, you need to use Studio
    Tech). Apply with a large brush and let it oxidize naturally.

For touchups — use a blot powder. MAC makes one or any other brand of your
    choice.

Smoky eye won't make you look sallow if you use the right colours. Black
    isn't for everyone — try a dark brown, purple, blue or green.

Avoid pale blushes, use a warmer blush tone and avoid pale lipsticks, again,
    go for a warmer tone. Rather than pale pink, for example, use a light coral,
    or brunt reddish brown colour.

Also, utilize bronzers — lightly above the eye brows to contour.

Hope that helps 🙂

9. JennOrtiz says:

Unless you have fair-skin and light eyes, I would advise you to never use purple in a smoky eye. As for using black and grays, I like the Stila smoky eye palette. The key with the classic smokey eye for me is to make sure my eyes are lined in black and have good mascara, otherwise I look bruised or tired. I make sure that I use concealer and foundation AFTER I've done the eye. Use a natural lip and Orgasm blush/Bronzer combo.

For the most part, I'd advised that most people avoid red eye makeup, although I have seen a few people pull it off. Again, the key here was mascara and liner, so you don't look like you have an infection.

Pink is hard for most people to wear. The only pink shadow I own, since I have olive skin, is a rose from Laura Mercier that looks nude and has gold flecks.

For Green shadows, I advise you to play around to find the right shade, because I firmly believe that there is a green shadow for everyone. For me, I look for greens with an olive or gold tone. I wouldn't worry too much about green making blemishes more noticeable, since the right shade will bring emphasis to your eyes!

10. Thank you both! Your advice is great. And no, I'm not Xenia (oops! I thought that username had a familiar ring to it; but thanks to the mixup, I rediscovered her blog!)

11. See I disagree, I HATE the Stila smokey palette. It's awful, and when I do
    photo shoots for people or party makeup I would NEVER use those colours for
    a smokey look.

I think that colour combination will make anyone look ill or on crack. Very
    few people can pull off those colours together.

I was so excited when it came out, and then I saw it, and I'm not a fan. I
    would use those colours by themselves, because they are lovely, but not in a
    smokey combo…ever.

But that's just me.

I agree about the mascara. I don't think lot of people realize that the
    actual key to making smokey eyes is a good mascara. I personally prefer X by
    MAC or Diorshow Blackout. Though I know some people who swear by that one
    from Maybelline — I think? It's got a green cap and pink container? It's
    like the oldest mascara known to man…

Red eye shadows are fine, if you get a highly pigmented one. Otherwise, you
    will loose bruised. I know that MAC chromecakes help a lot with those,
    especially if you get the MAC pigment in red.

Leesha — XSparkage — did some really great stuff with red shadows last
    year and they looked pretty hot. I think it's all about HOW you use them.
    I've also heard goo things about Lime Crime's red pigmented shadows… Miss
    Mosh on Deviant Art loves the stuff.

I disgree on the Pink too. I think anyone could wear whatever colour they
    want if they get the right shade. I can't wear a lot of Sushi Flower from
    MAC for example, but I can wear lots of Stars and Rockets or Da Bling!
    shadow.

It's all relative to your skin tone.

In green shadows — have you ever tired Absinthe from Urban Decay? That's a
    pretty one! I like that and Juxt from MAC. As well as MAC's Lucky Jade
    shadow pencil.

12. See I disagree, I HATE the Stila smokey palette. It's awful, and when I do
    photo shoots for people or party makeup I would NEVER use those colours for
    a smokey look.

I think that colour combination will make anyone look ill or on crack. Very
    few people can pull off those colours together.

I was so excited when it came out, and then I saw it, and I'm not a fan. I
    would use those colours by themselves, because they are lovely, but not in a
    smokey combo…ever.

But that's just me.

I agree about the mascara. I don't think lot of people realize that the
    actual key to making smokey eyes is a good mascara. I personally prefer X by
    MAC or Diorshow Blackout. Though I know some people who swear by that one
    from Maybelline — I think? It's got a green cap and pink container? It's
    like the oldest mascara known to man…

Red eye shadows are fine, if you get a highly pigmented one. Otherwise, you
    will loose bruised. I know that MAC chromecakes help a lot with those,
    especially if you get the MAC pigment in red.

Leesha — XSparkage — did some really great stuff with red shadows last
    year and they looked pretty hot. I think it's all about HOW you use them.
    I've also heard goo things about Lime Crime's red pigmented shadows… Miss
    Mosh on Deviant Art loves the stuff.

I disgree on the Pink too. I think anyone could wear whatever colour they
    want if they get the right shade. I can't wear a lot of Sushi Flower from
    MAC for example, but I can wear lots of Stars and Rockets or Da Bling!
    shadow.

It's all relative to your skin tone.

In green shadows — have you ever tired Absinthe from Urban Decay? That's a
    pretty one! I like that and Juxt from MAC. As well as MAC's Lucky Jade
    shadow pencil.

13. JennOrtiz says:

Doedeer – Oh, I almost forgot! If you have a Saks near you, Armani makes great eyeshadows. Laura Mercier makes a dark navy blue shadow that I use with the rose for a more subtle evening eye.

For my version of a smokey eye:

Sasha – To each its own. For me, the Stila palette is awesome on fair skin and dark. I've used it on all types. I think the key is define the eye with dark liner and keep the dark color tight around the eye. Too many artists are used to the 80's smokey eye that extends too far up past the crease. I don't suggest obeying the instructions the palette comes with. I use a wet brush with the darkest color along the lash line just beyond the outer corner of the eyes and then I draw the line on the crease. I then use the lightest silver/grey from the middle to the inner corner of the eye. After, I take the 2nd darkest grey and fill the rest of the lid toward the crease and outer corner. I then blend the dark line on my crease downward onto the lid, with the other greys. The last thing I put on is the highlighter to make it all look clean, on the brow bone. I make sure that when I open my eyes, you can just barely see the shadow. I like my makeup as close to natural and clean as possible. Then again, you know that. I don't really ever do high pigmented color. For me, makeup is supposed to enhance, although I have done the red. As far as pink goes, I think its trial and error, but cool tone skins do best with pink, since pink naturally has blue tones. Coral, i guess a variation of pink and rose with gold wouldn't wash out a warmer or olive tone, but not many people realize this.

We come from different schools of color.

14. See I disagree, I HATE the Stila smokey palette. It's awful, and when I do
    photo shoots for people or party makeup I would NEVER use those colours for
    a smokey look.

I think that colour combination will make anyone look ill or on crack. Very
    few people can pull off those colours together.

I was so excited when it came out, and then I saw it, and I'm not a fan. I
    would use those colours by themselves, because they are lovely, but not in a
    smokey combo…ever.

But that's just me.

I agree about the mascara. I don't think lot of people realize that the
    actual key to making smokey eyes is a good mascara. I personally prefer X by
    MAC or Diorshow Blackout. Though I know some people who swear by that one
    from Maybelline — I think? It's got a green cap and pink container? It's
    like the oldest mascara known to man…

Red eye shadows are fine, if you get a highly pigmented one. Otherwise, you
    will loose bruised. I know that MAC chromecakes help a lot with those,
    especially if you get the MAC pigment in red.

Leesha — XSparkage — did some really great stuff with red shadows last
    year and they looked pretty hot. I think it's all about HOW you use them.
    I've also heard goo things about Lime Crime's red pigmented shadows… Miss
    Mosh on Deviant Art loves the stuff.

I disgree on the Pink too. I think anyone could wear whatever colour they
    want if they get the right shade. I can't wear a lot of Sushi Flower from
    MAC for example, but I can wear lots of Stars and Rockets or Da Bling!
    shadow.

It's all relative to your skin tone.

In green shadows — have you ever tired Absinthe from Urban Decay? That's a
    pretty one! I like that and Juxt from MAC. As well as MAC's Lucky Jade
    shadow pencil.

15. lol — thanks and glad you found Xenia.

Have you checked out some of her makeup looks? Her Fafiette one is the
    cutest!!!

🙂

16. Yes, that's exactly what I meant — I don't like the way the instructions
    are with their specific Stila colours…I loathe it.

Like I said, individually those colours are great. I just wouldn't smokey it
    — especially the way Stila says too.

17. Yes, I spent quite a bit of time going through her tutorials last night. They make me want to dress up every day!

18. MichelleGillies says:

You are a brave girl … and we all appreciate it. Of course it helps when the canvas you start with looks like yours.
    Thanks for sharing.
    M

19. MichelleGillies says:

Thanks for sharing.
    M

20. She looks lovely without makeup. she needs to touch up those roots though. is her hair naturally black? I thought it was brown but it looks black here.acnee

21. atiyaam13 says:

thats amazing! very helpful,thanks ! <3 =]

22. jenna hunger says:

23. It's funny, I started using Aquaphor on my lips only when I moved to NYC.

The winter is just so brutal — nothing else was really working.

It's amazing stuff! I agree.

24. It's funny, I started using Aquaphor on my lips only when I moved to NYC.

The winter is just so brutal — nothing else was really working.

It's amazing stuff! I agree.

25. I am a faithful addict to Aquaphor. So thrilled to see there are others out there!! , . It ‘s true!